At the City of Kalamazoo City Commission meeting on September 18, City Attorney Clyde Robinson presented to the City Commission an update on the State’s progress on the roll-out of its medical marihuana facility licensing program. The State licensing process is not on track to be ready by December 15, so emergency rules will likely be put into effect in late November of this year.
This uncertainty in the State regulatory framework means any ordinances addressing medical marihuana facilities the City might adopt before December 15, 2017, the date when license applications can be filed with the State, may need to be amended once the final licensing program is in place. The City Commission by consensus agreed with the recommendation by the City Attorney to postpone consideration of the Zoning Ordinance amendments and a proposed local licensing ordinance until after the promulgation of emergency rules by the State.
The City of Kalamazoo is currently drafting three ordinances related to medical marihuana. In summary, the three proposed ordinances would:
- Amend the current City zoning code provisions permitting a registered caregiver under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act to operate as a home occupation so as to bring the ordinance in conformance with recent legislative and regulatory changes.
- Amend the City zoning code to define those zoning districts where proposed commercial medical marihuana facilities, as permitted by the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act, may be located in the City.
- Amend the City code of ordinances to set licensing and operational standards for commercial medical marihuana facilities operating in the City.
Two public input sessions were held in July to obtain feedback on the proposals. These ordinances will be presented to the Planning Commission and subsequently to the City Commission for consideration and possible adoption in September or October.
Proposed Ordinance Drafts:
- pdf Ordinance to Add Chapter 20B "Medical Marihuana Facilities" to the City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances (276 KB)
- pdf Ordinance to Amend Section 4.3 Addressing Medical Marijuana as a Home Occupation (47 KB)
- pdf Ordinance to Amend Sections 4.1, 4.2, 12.3 Regarding the Location of Medical Marihuana Facilities (104 KB)
Draft Maps (updated September 1, 2017):
- pdf Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Processor Facilities (map) (1.29 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Secure Transporters (map) (1.37 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Safety Compliance Facilities (map) (1.37 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Provisioning Centers (map) (1.17 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Grow Facilities (map) (1.29 MB)