The Kalamazoo City Clerk’s Office will begin accepting applications for Medical Marihuana Facility Operating Permits at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 7, 2018. The deadline for submitting applications is 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 28, 2018. No applications or parts of applications will be accepted outside of this initial application period.
During this initial application period the City Clerk’s Office will accept permit applications for all five types of Medical Marihuana Facilities: Growers, Processors, Secure Transporters, Safety/Compliance Facilities, and Provisioning Centers. Applications must be submitted in person during normal business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday) and must include a completed and signed application form, all attachments required in the application, the appropriate permit fee paid in full, and photo identification of the person submitting the application. The City Clerk will not accept incomplete applications. Permit fees are expected to be established by the City Commission at its May 21 meeting.
After the initial Medical Marihuana Facility Operating Permits are issued, the City Clerk’s Office expects future applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis, as with other business licenses (subject to restrictions established in the Code of Ordinances). Due to the approvals required by the State of Michigan, geographic restrictions, and other considerations, after the initial application period closes applications may not be accepted again until 2019.
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facilities Permit Application (100 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facilities Permit Process, Administrative Rules (31 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facility Permits, Process Overview and Timeline (11 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facility Permits, FAQ (87 KB)
- pdf Resolution 18-34, Fees for Medical Marihuana Facility Operating Permits (219 KB)
- pdf Sample Insurance Certificate, Transporter (UPDATED 6/11/18) (108 KB)
- pdf Sample Insurance Certificate, Facility (UPDATED 6/11/18) (91 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facilities Applicant List (27 KB)
Ordinances and maps (approved April 2, 2018):
- pdf Ordinance to Add Chapter 20B "Medical Marihuana Facilities" to the City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances (1.16 MB)
- pdf Ordinance to Amend Section 4.3 Addressing Medical Marijuana as a Home Occupation (82 KB)
- pdf Ordinance to Amend Sections 4.1, 4.2, 12.3 Regarding the Location of Medical Marihuana Facilities (280 KB)
- pdf (3.20 MB) pdf Medical Marihuana Zoning Map, Provisioning Centers/Dispensaries (2.84 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Zoning Map, Grower/Processor (3.23 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Zoning Map, Safety/Transporter (3.15 MB)
In July 2017 two public input sessions were held to obtain feedback on the proposals. These ordinances will be presented to the Planning Commission and subsequently to the City Commission for consideration and possible adoption once finalized.
- Amend the current City zoning code provisions permitting a registered caregiver under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act to operate as a home occupation so as to bring the ordinance in conformance with recent legislative and regulatory changes.
- Amend the City zoning code to define those zoning districts where proposed commercial medical marihuana facilities, as permitted by the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act, may be located in the City.
- Amend the City code of ordinances to set licensing and operational standards for commercial medical marihuana facilities operating in the City.
On September 18, 2017 at the City of Kalamazoo City Commission meeting the City Attorney Clyde Robinson presented to the City Commission an update on the State’s progress on the roll-out of its medical marihuana facility licensing program. The State licensing process was not on track to be ready by December 15, and this uncertainty in the State regulatory framework meant that any ordinances addressing medical marihuana facilities the City might adopt before December 15, 2017, the date when license applications can be filed with the State, may need to be amended once the final licensing program is in place. The City Commission by consensus agreed with the recommendation by the City Attorney to postpone consideration of the Zoning Ordinance amendments and a proposed local licensing ordinance until after the promulgation of emergency rules by the State.
On December 4, 2017, the State of Michigan – Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) released the emergency rules for the administration of Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act. The release of these emergency rules allowed the City of Kalamazoo to better understand LARA’s process for accepting and reviewing applications for licenses. The City Attorney convened a working group of City staff to review the emergency rules and its implications on the draft ordinance amendments prepared in 2017.
On March 19, 2018 the City Commission discussed the draft Medical Marihuana Ordinances and held the first public hearing. The City Commission voted unanimously to move the Medical Marihuana Ordinances to the second required public hearing.
On April 2, 2018 The City Commission held the required second public hearing and unanimously approved the three ordinances and the City administration is now working on the application forms, timeline for accepting applications and the internal review process. An announcement is anticipated within 30 days.
On May 11, 2018 the City released updated potential land area maps for Medical Marihuana Facilities.