State election laws establish three potential election dates each year:
- The May regular election date, which is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in May.
- The August regular election date, which is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in August.
- The November regular election date, which is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. The election dates in 2016 are:
- Tuesday, May 2, 2017
- Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Citizens may register to vote at any time, but registration must be completed at least 30 days prior to an election to be eligible to participate. The registration deadlines for the 2016 elections are:
- Monday, April 3, 2017 for the May 2, 2017 May Consolidated Election
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017 for the November 7, 2017 City Municipal Election
For the May 2, 2017 May Consolidated Election:
- January 24, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. –File petitions to place county and local question(s) on ballot
- February 7, 2017 –Proposed proposal language approved by City Commission
For the November 7, 2017 Municipal Election:
- No petition for City Commission or Mayor shall be circulated before May 26, 2017
- July 25, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. -Nomination petitions and Affidavit of Identity due for City Commission and Mayor candidates
- July 28, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. -Last day for a candidate to withdraw
- August 1, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. –File petitions to place question(s) on ballot
- August 15, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. - Proposed proposal language approved by City Commission
An absentee ballot may be requested 75 days prior to an election. Ballots may be requested by mail up until 2 p.m. on the Saturday prior to an election, however please be aware that this rarely leaves enough time to complete the process. We recommend that you request your ballot as early as possible.
Absentee ballots can be obtained from the City Clerk's Office in person until 4:00 p.m. on the Monday prior to the election. The ballot must be voted in the office and returned. All ballots must be returned by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day to be counted.