So, you want to redevelop? You’ve come to the right place. City of Kalamazoo staff can help your project become reality, whether you are an established business looking to expand or a start-up trying to make your mark.
Don’t have a site picked out yet? The Brownfield Redevelopment Authority owns sites throughout the City ranging from large tracts for industrial uses to smaller parcels that can accommodate mixed-use projects. If the BRA doesn't own the land that is right for your project, don’t fret. Your project may qualify as a Brownfield under Act 381 and be eligible for incentives if the privately owned site you are interested in is environmentally contaminated, blighted, or considered functionally obsolete.
To qualify for incentives, the project must meet the following requirements:
- An eligible property, when redeveloped, must generate property tax revenue
- A non-tax-generating project on a private property must result in new job opportunities and/or provide a needed neighborhood or community service
You can view the City of Kalamazoo's Brownfield Plan online and apply for inclusion in the plan by completing the pdf Brownfield Plan Application (115 KB) and submitting it with all required attachments to the Economic Development Office.
If your property is not already in the Brownfield Plan, then you’ll need to apply. Here are the requirements
- Eligible Property (environmentally contaminated, blighted, or considered functionally obsolete);
- pdf Application (115 KB) and all required attachments;
- Payment of Plan Fee: $5,000;
City staff and the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority board will evaluate each project/property before making a recommendation to the City Commission regarding inclusion/categorization of a privately owned property in the Brownfield Plan. Once the site is entered into the Brownfield Plan, City staff will negotiate terms with the proposed developer and complete a redevelopment agreement. Terms and agreement are subject to Board approval. After approval by the BRA, the following will take place prior to reimbursement:
- Work Plan
- Invoice Approval for Eligible Activities
- Tax Capture and Annual Disbursement