On October 7, 2019, the City Commission adopted Ordinance 2000 to postpone or delay the City’s opt-in of permitting commercial adult-use marihuana establishments in the City until June 1, 2020. Adoption of this ordinance permitted City staff to bring proposed zoning and licensing ordinances to the City Commission in conformance with the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act, which was adopted by voter initiative in November 2018.
January 2020, City staff met to develop the public participation plan and timeframe for completion of steps for the process of crafting this Adult Use Marihuana Ordinance and Social Equity Policy.
February 2020, public feedback meetings were held on Wednesday, February 5th and Tuesday February 11th at City Hall to obtain feedback from the public on the development of an Adult Use Marihuana ordinance and a social equity policy. Each meeting began with a presentation by City Attorney Clyde Robinson covering the legislation, differences between medical / adult use facility types and social equity program at the State level. A question and answer period followed with the focus on what a local social equity policy might look like to benefit residents getting into the industry and which adult use (recreational marihuana) license types were appropriate for Kalamazoo and where should each be located.
• Create an ordinance for Adult Use (Recreational) Marihuana based on community input.
• Develop a social equity policy to assist local entrepreneurs.
• Develop local licensing process for Adult Use Marihuana Facilities
• First Set of Public Meetings:
▪ Wednesday, 2/5 3pm to 5pm in the City Commission Chambers at City Hall (241 W. South St.)
▪ Tuesday, 2/11 6:30pm to 8pm in the City Commission Chambers at City Hall (241 W. South St.)
• Completed DRAFT #1 of the Ordinance / make available for public viewing: 2/24 to 2/28
• Second Set of Public Meetings:
▪ Public Meetings: 3/2 to 3/6
• Completed DRAFT #2 of the Ordinance/ make available for public viewing: 3/16 to 3/20
• Planning Commission Meeting: 4/2
• City Commission Meeting: 4/18 (Propose for First Reading)
• City Commission Meeting: 5/4 (Propose for Public Hearing/Vote)
• City Commission Meeting: 5/18 (Optional Meeting Date)
• Completion of Adult Use Marihuana Ordinace Due Date: 6/1
Public Participation Plan
The City will consult with citizens and those in the industry to obtain valuable feedback. In addition to this outreach staff will also be attending neighborhood meetings in late February and March.
Community Planning & Economic Development, City Attorney’s Office, City Clerk’s Office
Consistent With Plans
Master Plan, Strategic Vision, Public Participation Plan
To put in place a framework of regulations to allow a balanced implementation of Adult Use Marihuana facilities in Kalamazoo. This is what the citizens voted in favor of in 2018. This will allow another component of the marihuana industry to legally begin operating in the City of Kalamazoo.
Strategic Vision Goals
Shared Prosperity, Economic Vitality
Completion of Ordinance