Code Compliance Program:
The Code Compliance Program was developed in 2012 to consolidate Anti-Blight Program activities associated with inspections and enforcement of dangerous or hazardous structures with other elements of property blight enforcement. The Code Compliance Staff conducts inspections and enforcement of dangerous structures or dilapidated structures, structures found open to casual entry, trash and junk on private property, curb lawn trash, zoning violations, tall grass/weeds, and graffiti.
The Code Compliance Staff applies various enforcement techniques to encourage owners of such properties to promptly repair the building, abate the nuisance cited, or correct zoning violations. In the case of vacant and blighted residential structures, the City has a vacant & abandoned structure registration and monitoring program set forth under Chapter 9, Article VIII, of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances.
Dilapidated or dangerous structures that remain in noncompliance may referred to the Dangerous Buildings Board (Chapter 9, Article VII), especially if the deterioration of a building is severe or the building presents a hazard or danger to the community. The Building Board of Appeals may authorize the City to enter and abate the violations either via repair or demolition.
How to Reach Us:
Community Planning & Development Department
City of Kalamazoo
415 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
- Curb Lawn Trash Violations or Unsightly Property: Please call our 24 Hour Hotline at 269-337-8221 or email email@example.com.
- Tall Grass and Weed Concerns (May 1-October 31): Please call our 24 Hour Hotline at 269-337-8847.
- To report issues with residential or commercial properties: Please fill out our pdf Service Request Form (82 KB) and submit to our office via fax (269-337-8513) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Links to Important Pages and Documents:
Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances:
- Chapter 9, Article VII: Dangerous Buildings
- Chapter 9, Article VIII: Abandoned Residential Structures
- pdf Chapter 22-3 Nuisances
- pdf Appendix A, Zoning Ordinance
- pdf Chapter 17 Housing Code (4.17 MB)
- pdf Local Addendums (110 KB)
- International Property Maintenance Code
- Applications and Forms
- pdf Fee Schedule (66 KB)
- GIS Property Mapping
- Rental Registration & Certification
Code Compliance Staff:
- Robert McNutt, Building Official/ Code Compliance Supervisor email@example.com
- Carmela Hostiguin, Code Compliance Inspector I firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jared Chambers, Code Compliance Inspector I email@example.com
- Rachael Luscomb, Code Compliance Inspector II firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marvella Vincent, Code Compliance Inspector II email@example.com
- Hannah Hudson, Weed/Tall Grass Inspector firstname.lastname@example.org